Sunday, March 20, 2011

Reflection on "Last Child in the Woods"


Reading “Last Child in the Woods” by Richard Louv really made me look back and reflect on my experiences with nature and the woods as a child. As soon as someone asks me to remember, what life was like as a child I automatically think of always being outside. I have three brothers who loved playing out in the grass and dirt and my parents would not let us stay in the house when it was a nice day outside. Looking back now, I can always remember as a family we were always at either the beach, or playing in the tree house in our back yard, or swimming in the swimming pool and bouncing on the trampoline. At the time, I may have gotten frustrated when I just wanted to lie inside and watch television but now I am thankful for the way my parents raised us. I now appreciate the outside more and the fact that I did not need to grow up with video games and nonstop movies online per month to watch constantly to have fun. I am so thankful I live in the state of Florida where we have our beautiful sunshine that attracts so many tourists and makes me realize that I am very lucky to live where I do and have the things I have had. The experiences my parents offered to me through living here and raising me the way they did truly has had a huge impact on my life.

 These experiences also affected my decision of which college to go to. My choices were the University of Central Florida in big city Orlando or where I chose Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers. My first instinct when I toured FGCU was how beautiful our campus is and how environmental friendly and walking around UCF, you wouldn’t see alligators sunning themselves on the pond sides or bald eagles flying through the trees on campus. After I finished my tour, I didn’t even need to see the campus of UCF to make my decision, I knew I had fell in love with FGCU and it would be the right school for me.

I can also say I am thankful that I didn’t grow up addicted to machines and computers and video games because it taught me a lesson for my future family that I know they will be raised without these electronics glued to their eyes. Its sad to me when I see 12 year olds running around with cell phones texting when they should be outside kicking a soccer ball or playing with friends. I know my childhood experiences will definitely reflect on my future and how I live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment